Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recovery

It has been 3 weeks since I had the surgery.
The doc sent me home with a patch over my eye and one page of instructions.  I was a little tired when I returned home so I took a nap.  Ate very lightly and had a good night's sleep.
The day after surgery I had an appointment to see the doctor.  He removed the patch and checked out my eye.  I COULD SEE THE TOP E ON THE EYE CHART!!  He said that it all looked fine and gave me a prescription for a couple of kinds of eye drops--an antibiotic and steroid.  I used them four times a day.  There was little pain, just some discomfort.  I wore sun glasses because the eye was dilated for several days.

I had another appointment one week past surgery. I think it was just another check to see how the eye was healing. I drove myself.  THIS TIME I COULD READ THREE ROWS ON THE EYE CHART.  It is still poor vision, but the vision could keep improving for months.  The doctor said that I should use the eye drops just twice a day now.  That's double progress.  I was cleared to golf 10 days post-op.

Two weeks after the surgery the doctor said that I could bike.  I always forget all my questions when I am at the office.  Luckily, my doctor's office has a great staff to answer my questions on the phone.

Now I am using the eye drops just one time a day.  I have biked once and played nine holes of golf.  The doctor said that I had to wait for one month before I could go swimming.  Coincidentally, I have another doctor's appointment on the one month anniversary.  I want to ask about jogging that
day. AND, hopefully, I will be able to read further down the eye chart.
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post.. This brings confidence in me.. Thanks much!!
    I have to undergo this surgery in a week and this is for Epic Retinal Membrane removal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing your doctor's staff can answer your concerns at any time, Jan! It's risky to engage in physical activity almost immediately after surgery. It might strain your eyes and end up doing even more damage. Months have passed already, and I hope you're back to your active lifestyle. How are you now? Any update about your eyes?

    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete